Every time I take 5 mins to try and write this blog post something happens. So here I am now 10 days past our 1st Birthday!
Having said that, all those things that have consumed my time the past 2 weeks have been totally worthwhile. This is what I’ve always wanted, this was the goal. This business that I started from the kitchen table a year ago is a living breathing beast that people and businesses depend on.
We have literally doubled our revenue in the past 2 months and I would expect the same again by August. Rocco Douglas has never been busier, we are in discussions with so many potential new clients at the moment, I’m trying not to get too excited – even if we only got half it would be huge.
I’ve never been so tired and I’ve never worked so many hours in my life but it’s just starting to get good. My family deserve a medal for putting up with me!
Here are a few of my learnings from the past year:
- Invest in good staff, and empower them to do their job without you.
- Don’t look back. Focus on today and tomorrow. Yesterday is history.
- Starting a business is very expensive. Take that figure you think you’ll need and double it.
- Employing millennials is challenging. I interviewed so many that want the rewards now and aren’t prepared to start at the bottom.
- I love working on the Shore. It’d have to be a good offer for me to be sitting back in city traffic.
- You can never have too much coffee.
- Stress and lack of sleep isn’t good for the waistline. Join the gym.
- Dress for success if you want to be taken seriously.
- Ignore the haters. So many people will try and distract you or discourage you from your vision.
- Partner with like-minded businesses.
- Get great mentors around you.
- Create and invest in good systems and processes that save time on the boring admin stuff.
- Celebrate milestones.
- This is the best job I’ve ever had and I wouldn’t want to do anything else.
Can’t wait to report on year 2.